Monday, August 30, 2010

Movie Review: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World


Scott Pilgrim the movie experience is just about what you'd expect from Edgar Wright, the dude who brought us such gems as Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz; funny, and full of style. Though I felt Scott Pilgrim vs. The World was slightly weaker than those two, the movie is still pretty damn good.

Having read, and loved the source material ahead of time, I entered the theater with my fingers crossed, hoping it would do justice to comics. I'm happy to say that I wasn't let down. The jokes from the graphic novels translate well to the big screen, and though events in the movie seem to scream by at a rapid fire A.D.D. pace, Wright managed to fit most of the really important stuff from the books into the film.

As far as the adaptation, and execution of the plot, I was happy, but where I felt the film was lacking was in the acting department. The choice of Michael Cera for the Scott Pilgrim role was a bad one. That dude is always the same exact character no matter what role. The Staranger movie review said it best when they stated: "He has an acting range from A to A." Mary Elizabeth Winstead also seemed a bit flat as well. Whoever did the casting picked to very un-dynamic actors for the leading roles.

Still, given the absolutely pathetic state of film this year, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World is pretty damn good. At the very it is entertaining and funny. I thought it might be a bit confusing at times to someone who hadn't read the graphic novels, but people I've talked to who have done just that seem to enjoy the film just fine. Probably worth the ten bucks.

Grade: B-

No comments: